Sunday, February 17, 2019

It's Time for the Oscars! Best Picture Nominations

Well, I feel like I'm one of the last people to actually sit through and enjoy the whole show but I love awards shows. They're fraught with politics and people and movies and music, etc who got snubbed but I enjoy the glitz and the glamour. Plus, I love the buzz around the movies and what isn't necessarily the best but what's still good. Then the articles come out on what and who were snubbed so I get all those on my list too.

I'll be tracking my viewing this week. I hope to get most if not all of the best picture nominations watched this week. I've already seen a few so hopefully I can get a few more in before next weekend. I like to watch the documentaries and the animated films as much as possible. I usually can't get too many of the foreign nominations until after the big show.

Watched: 3/8

Best Picture



"Black Panther"
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o
Directed by: Ryan Coogler
Sci-fi/fantasy and action/adventure
4/5 stars
Watched: Own

I watched this when it first came out but I have seen it many times since over this last year! I loved meeting Wakanda and being apart of their world. I loved that it had something to say about our own society. And Michael B. Jordan deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Killmonger. Best villain. Ever.

It's been nominated for Best Original Score, Best Original Song "All the Stars", Best Picture, Best Costume Design, Best Production Design (Hannah Beachler is the first African American to be nominated in this category), Best in Sound Editing, and Best in Sound Mixing.




"BlacKkKlansmen"
Starring: John David Washington, Adam Driver, Laura Harrier
Directed by: Spike Lee
Drama/Comedy
3.5/5 stars
Watched: borrowed from library

I found this one humorous and dark. I had a lot of weird emotions throughout the whole movie. But I did not care for the ending. It felt off-key compared to the rest of the movie, though still an important message to share. But wow. I cannot believe this actually happened.

It's been nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best in Film Editing. I am appalled, though, that Adam Driver gets a nomination but not his co-star and main protagonist John David Washington. Boo.




"Bohemian Rhapsody"


Starring: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton
Directed by: Bryan Singer and Dexter Fletcher (uncredited)
Drama/Biopic
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

I hope to watch this week. Everyone I know who's seen has loved it. Critics have not been thrilled and the film has been surrounded by controversy with fired director Bryan Singer. I love Queen and do want to see it but am going in aware of the good and the bad.

It's been nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best in Film Editing, Best in Sound Editing, and Best in Sound Mixing.


"The Favourite"


Starring: Olivia Coleman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz
Directed by: Yorgos Lanthimos
Historical drama
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

Another I hope to watch this week since I love all the women in this movie! It's gotten glowing reviews from both audiences and critics alike. I'm excited.

It's been nominated for Best Original Screenplay, Best in Production Design, Best in Costume Design, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress for both Weisz and Stone, Best in Cinematography, and Best in Film Editing.


"Green Book"


Starring: Mahershala Ali, Viggo Mortensen
Directed by: Peter Farrelly
Historical drama
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

This is also a film that has seen its share of controversy. I read an article by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in The Hollywood Reporter that addresses the main controversies and why he still feels it's an important and moving film to see. I will be seeing it this week!

It's been nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, and Best in Film Editing.


"Roma"
Starring: Yalitza Aparicio, Marina de Tavira
Directed by: Alfonso Cuaron
Historical drama
4.5/5 stars
Watched: Netflix

It's been nominated for Best Foreign Film, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress just to name a few. Well-deserved nominations and I hope this film wins some of these. It's gorgeous and beautiful. It's a quiet snapshot of one family and their nanny over a few months. How they deal with their family dynamics changing and how their nanny deals with her own struggles as a servant with her own personal life and secrets. (I pulled this review from my previous post).




"A Star is Born"


Starring: Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper
Directed by: Bradley Cooper
Drama
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

While I know the ending, I'm still looking forward to the music and acting. This story has been made into 4 separate films and one song ("Don't You Want Me?" by The Human League).

It's been nominated for Best Original Song "Shallow", Best in Sound Mixing, Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best in Cinematography. It's a shame Bradley Cooper didn't get a best director nomination.


"Vice"

Starring: Christian Bale, Amy Adams, 
Directed by: Adam McKay
Drama/Biopic
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

It'll be fun to see the characters of George W. and Cheney on-screen...maybe it'll bring me back to the days of SNL and Will Ferrell's George W.!

It's been nominated for Best in Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actor, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best in Film Editing.

*All movie pics were pulled from IMDB

9 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of the movies. I really loved Roma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Black Panther. I want to see Bohemian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian Rhapsody was a fun one. I think you'll enjoy it if you love Queen!

      Delete
  3. I'm doing a similar post tomorrow. At this point I've only seen 4. Jason wants Green Book to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking Green Book will win. But we shall see!

      Delete
  4. Have you gotten to see all of these yet? I was doing fairly well but then we haven't seen a movie now for a few weeks. What I've seen of these I've enjoyed but nothing really grabbed me and made me think "wow, that's the best movie of the year." I did really like Black Panther and thought it was really well done. As much as I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, I don't really think it's in the same class as the others I've seen, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.