Thursday, August 31, 2017

Cat Thursday--August 31, 2017


Welcome to the weekly meme (hosted by True Book Addict) that celebrates the wonders and sometime hilarity of cats! Join us by posting a favorite LOL cat pic you may have come across, famous cat art or even share with us pics of your own beloved cat(s)

Atlas Obscura came out with a post on old encyclopedic book on cats by English cartoonist Charles Henry Ross.

IN THE 1800S, PEOPLE WERE just as crazed about cats as we are today. But instead of memes, Instagram posts, and viral videos, the Victorians had satirical comics and chronicles.
English cartoonist, and evident cat fanatic, Charles Henry Ross wrote an epic encyclopedic book detailing the intricacies and culture of cats. In The Book of Cats. A Chit-Chat Chronicle of Feline Facts and Fancies, Legendary, Lyrical, Medical, Mirthful and MiscellaneousRoss makes an argument in support of the animal. Published in 1868, Ross read over 300 books, browsed newspapers, drew 20 illustrations, and gathered a mass of anecdotes about the fondness and repulsion towards cats. 
He set out to debunk a lot of the old myths of cats. So happy cats had a champion back then!

Here are a few drawings from his book:




Go and check out the whole article. Pretty interesting stuff!

6 comments:

  1. Debunk cat myths? I want to know what those myths were. My friend, Jenni, would love this weekly meme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I had only heard of one old book centering on cats (I'm sure you're familiar)...T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. My cousin got it for me a couple of Christmases ago. I'm definitely going to have to read up on this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to come back to tell you that the book itself is downloadable in all formats. I downloaded the mobi and sent it to my Kindle. It reads beautifully on there. I'm so excited! Thanks again for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Good to know! I will have to download it as well. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.