Sunday, April 19, 2015

Living and Reading in Japan (8)

living_reading_japan.collage


This weekly meme has been inspired by Michelle at The True Book Addict and Lisa at Lit and Life--Life: It Goes On...but I wanted to tweak it a bit for myself since I am living in Japan for the next year (2014-2015).

We just got back from a trip to Okinawa! A week-long funcation! Okinawa is beautiful. The bluest ocean and the whitest sands...but I haven't been to a lot. We built sand castles, soaked in the sun and the ocean water, and ate some great food. I now have post-vacation blues...

Reading:
  • Persuasion Jane Austen
    Source
  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century by Steven Pinker
Finished:
  • Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris (audiobook version)
Looking Forward To:

Golden Week here in Japan. It'll be crazy crowded but Hiroshima has one of the biggest if not the biggest flower festivals in Japan and all within walking distance. Gabe will have the week out of school and we'll be enjoying ourselves with all the sights, sounds, and food!

Making:

Source
Okinawa loves taco rice dishes. I had two while I was there. So this week I'll be making some of my own. Forget the shell and add the rice!

Listening To:

Common Sense with Dan Carlin. The man has so much insight into what is going on in the world. It's depressing but liberating at the same time.

I also got a membership with Audible. I'm really enjoying digital audio!

Watching:

iZombie. Such an interesting concept of crime and zombies and women power! Love it!
Source

Grateful For:

Earth and the ocean and how beautiful and healing it is.

Things I Did This Week:

Okinawa! Okinawa is so interesting because the U.S. military has such a strong presence there. There's an American Village area, lots of people speak English, and there are a lot of tattoo parlors, and burger joints. We got our Mexican food fix!

2015-04-16 13.53.13


We went through Airbnb. Such a cool site. You rent out people's homes and apartments for so much less than a hotel. We stayed close to the beach and had comfortable beds and two separate rooms.

2015-04-16 13.41.47-1


We hit the aquarium and the old Okinawan village, Shujiro Castle that was completely rebuilt after its destruction during WWII, and the rest of the time were all beaches!

2015-04-16 13.21.48


Tokashiki Island is where we went for our last beach day. We took an hour long ferry boat ride over the the island. Crystal blue waters and white coral beaches all day. It was amazing.

2015-04-16 12.45.36-1

1 comment:

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.