Sunday, September 28, 2014

Living and Reading in Japan! (2)

living_and_reading_japan_2



This weekly meme has been inspired by Michelle at The True Book Addict and Lisa at Lit and Life--Life: It Goes On...but I wanted to tweak it a bit for myself since I am living in Japan for the next 2 years (2014-2016).


I spent the last couple of weeks getting over a nasty sinus infection. I spent my days watching "Burn Notice" reruns! Doesn't get better than that...

Books I'm Reading:

  1. Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage by Stephanie Coontz
  2. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
  3. The Antidote: Happiness For People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman
Books Finished:

  1. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo.
  2. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.
Looking Forward To:

We're heading to the transportation museum tomorrow! It should be fun. Gabe gets a break soon so we can do some fun stuff. And Halloween is around the corner :)

Making:

I have made snickerdoodles. It was tough. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the oven part of the microwave oven. The thing preheats and then halfway through baking my cookies it turns off. I had to keep resetting it and hope the cookies didn't get too burned or too doughy. They turned out OK but it was a lot more difficult than I was expecting. So I'll be doing more experimenting and hopefully I can make pumpkin bread soon. I was sent cans of pumpkin and found an international store that sold me the spices I needed. So here's hoping!

Watching:

Lots of new shows this Fall. I watched "How to Get Away With Murder" with Viola Davis. It's got promise but still unsure. Ms. Davis is excellent as always. I'll be interested in seeing if the characters get a bit more layered. Never judge a show by its pilot!

Things I Did This Week in Japan:

We visited the mall last weekend to get Gabe some new Fall and Winter clothes. We didn't bring any with us and it's starting to get cooler here.

I made coffee from my friend's special blend she made just for me!

We visited the Hiroshima City Park last weekend with the PTA. We had so much fun. It's a beautiful park. So much to do: hiking, large playgrounds for the kids, trees, a bug observatory, a train and beautiful views. We'll be going back to fit it all in.

Photo Sep 21, 2 01 17 PM
Shaun the Sheep!
Photo Sep 22, 9 15 58 AM
My friend back home roasts her own coffee beans and made this blend up special for me! Loved it!

Photo Sep 20, 3 16 09 PM
Actual bridge. Very Scary...
Photo Sep 20, 2 54 39 PM
Traveling up the mountain on a train!

Photo Sep 20, 3 02 30 PM
Hot food vending machines!


Grateful For:

Family and friends who keep me sane and send me packages :)




3 comments:

  1. That's great that you have your own special blend of coffee! Do the Japanese actually not use real ovens or is that just the case in your place? That would make me crazy - I love to bake! I never thought to wonder if they Japanese celebrate Halloween but as much as that culture likes to dress up, I suppose it's the perfect holiday for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bridge does look scary, but the hot food vending machine looks exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packages? I didn't know you wanted packages! I can't belnd any special coffee for you but I could come up with something cool. Send me your address and I'll see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.