Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

From Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

1. p.138 "...so haughty a reliance, on the power of other qualities, intrinsic or adventitious, to atone for the lack of..."

Not inherent but added extrinsically.
ORIGIN: From Latin adventīcius, foreign, from adventus, arrival

2. p.140 "I have plenty of faults of my own: I know it, and I don't wish to palliate them.

To relieve or lessen without curing; mitigate; alleviate.
ORIGIN: 1540–50; from Latin palliātus cloaked, covered.

3. p.142 "Now, when any vicious simpleton excites my disgust by his paltry ribaldry..."

Vulgar, lewdly humorous language or joking or an instance of it.
ORIGIN: 1300–50; From Middle English ribaudrie from Old French.

1 comment:

  1. WOW...all these words are from Jane Eyre? I better get my dictionary before reading it.

    P.S. I like your bookshelf sitting at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.